Monday, February 9, 2009

HLBOES hat

Started: 2/7/09

Since I can't hide the project on Rav from my spoilee, I'm going to blog about it on here to be published after she gets it. I'm doing the Hermione Cable and Eyelet hat from the Half Blood Prince. I'm using Paton's Silk Bamboo and sz 5 needles. I'm casting on the extra 22 stitches so that hopefully it will compensate for the fact that I'm using lighter weight yarn. I'll keep you updated.

2/28/09 - Finished the hat today! Had to frog it just after I finished the ribbing the first time due to gauge issues. I restarted on sz 2 needles with the extra 22 stitches again. It seems a little big around, but the length seems to be good thankfully without any extra repeats beyond the ones in the pattern.

3/12/09 - So after doing a little blocking and realizing the hat was enormous, I ended up re-knitting it straight off the old one. No extra stitches this time, still knitting it on size 2 needles. Interestingly due to some goofs I did on the repeats, I ended up using more yarn than I did the first time. But it is really, really done for real this time! The combination of yarn substitution and pattern totally threw me for a loop.

No comments: